Over a week ago, I finished the handspun socks dyed with butternuts (S-06 Socks). I just needed to weave in the ends before I photographed them. For some reason, finished socks can languish for days or weeks on a shelf in my bedroom, just waiting to have their ends woven in.
Well, I finally wove in the ends and the are officially done! Now that it’s spring, I think they may be a little to heavy to wear. At least they will be ready for next fall.
For those who want particulars, here goes…
I used about 222 yards of handspun East Friesian wool. The wool was skein dyed to minimize any possibility of felting. The yarn is a worsted weight. I used size US 3 (3.25mm) needles.
The socks were knitted from the toe up, using a pattern I developed around 1998 or so. The stitch pattern is a K1P1 rib. I always like how it looks. There is something elegant about a K1P1 rib. It’s a little tedious to do, but the result is worth it.
I started with 289 yards of wool, and have about 67 yards left. At least I used most of it, and will put the remainder to good use later. Just for the record, this yarn was spun and dyed in 2002. I guess you could say it is well-aged and has ripened nicely.